Friday, March 9, 2018

Glacier Walking and the Elusive Northern Lights

  
We had quite a full last day and night in Iceland as we finished our tour with the group and returned to Reykjavik for one more night before flying home.  Because conditions were not optimal for viewing the Northern Lights the last few days in the countryside, we decided to try one last time-although that meant leaving the hotel at 10 pm and returning at 1 am.  Did I mention it was below freezing?  Oh yeah, it's Iceland...  But to our surprise, even with an activity level predicted at 2 on the 9 point scale, we managed to see a faint, green glow across the sky.  It was clear and cold.  We could not feel our feet.  There was not much "dancing." But hey, we saw them!!
I walked along Svínafellsjökull glacier, where parts of seasons 3, 4, and this season's finale of Game of Thrones were filmed.  The glacier served as the backdrop for Jon Snow's battle with the White Walkers.  



"I'm Yukon Cornelius!"


Carol, me, and Vicki

New friends Joe and Vicki sent me the two photos above



On the way back to Reykjavik...basalt beach

And finally, we visited Höfði, site of the 1986 Reykjavík Summit meeting of presidents Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev, one of the first steps toward ending the Cold War.
Mom, I had a wonderful time with you in Iceland.  Thank you for inviting me to join you on the trip of a lifetime.  I love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment